St. John's Lodge
Home  >   Lodges - St. John's Lodge

L Johns Logo

The St. John' S Lodge, No.434
( Secunderabad )

Date of Warrant: (Local) August 16, 1882. Confirmed: 1836. Centenary: 1937. Meets: Last Wednesday of Every month expect In June and December when on St.John the Baptist day and St.John the Evangelist day respectively. Election: November. Installation: St.John’s Evangelist day in December.

Officers For 2017 - 2018 ( Installed: 27th December 2017 )
Worshipful Master Ch.Hemanth Reddy
Senior Warden Major R.K.Singh
Junior Warden T.Santhosh Kumar
I.P.M Jeet Patel
Chaplain Col.C.M.Pagar
Treasurer Madhu Damodharan Menon
Secretary K.Swaminathan
Director of Ceremonies Vikram Gangam
Mentor Ghanshyam Khandelwal
Charity Steward Murthy Vadapalli
Almoner Lt.Col.J.N.laul
Senior Deacon Col.Bhaskar Dev Burman
Junior Deacon N.Arun Kumar
Asst. Director of Ceremonies Vishal Thaalla
Organist Salil M Adhiya
Asst.Secretary Arjun Nair
Inner Guard Nihal Kovvali
Steward C.Avinash Kumar
Steward K.V.Krishna Babu
Steward Mohanpreet Singh Bains
Steward C.Ayyappan nair
Tyler Dharanikota Suyodhan
Members
N.Madhusudan (1994) J.J.D'Silva (1989 & 96)
Major R.K.Singh (1991 & 95) M.J.Parekh (WM 3249-1999)
P.Mohan (2006) Col.C.M.Pagar(1999)
Col.K.Ravindranathan (2001) M.Salil Adhiya (2014)
Dr.N.Ashok Kumar S.S.Ahmed (2008)
Navneet Pittie (2015) Lt.Col.J.N.Laul
Col R.N.Balagopal (2007) G.Vikram(2010)
R.Vishwa Mohan M.Udaia Kumar
Dr.John Verghese (2013) Dharanikota Suyodhan (2011)
Ghanshyam Khandelwal (2009) T.Rajesh Murthy (2012)
Manish B.Pokarna Gurudutt U.Pai
V.Sasidharan Jeet Patel (2016)
T.Santosh Kumar Lt.Col.Bhasker Dev Burman
Ch.Hemanth Reddy (2017) John Mathew
Chandan Lohia S.Ramnath Sastry
K.Swaminathan Nihal Kovvali
Dr.N.Arunkumar S.Karthik
Bhudeb Chakravarthi N.Sreedhar Reddy
Rahul Anilesh Amin K.Goutham Subbaiah
K.Arjun Nair C.Avinash Kumar
Col.Bhisma Dev Bhattacharya Murthy Vadapalli
Vishal Thaalla Srikanth Marakanti
Venkatesh Ramanji Madhu Damodharan Menon
R.V.Krishna Babu Arun Rama
Mohanpreet Singh Bains C.Ayyappan Nair
Col.S.D.Chandra Shaker Olive Enos Indla
Honorary Members
R W Bro.D.K.Williamson, Asst Grand Master
R.W.Bro.Cdr.M.B.S.Higham RN (Retd), PG Secretary
R.W.Bro.K.R.N.Menon, PDGM
W.Bro.K.Venkat Ramana, PDGReg

A brief on the Ladies Night held in our lodge

From the Desk of Lodge Information Officer ( Col RN Balagopal )

St John's Lodge 434 EC

Dear W Bro Ilango ,

A brief on the Ladies Night held in our lodge.

28 Oct'15 was our usual day for Regular Meeting for Brethren of St John's Lodge 434 EC. It was decided to hold the Ladies Night after the meeting. The families in attendance is an annual feature of our lodge year in and year out. It was an excellent gathering with more than 30 attending with their families and their children.

W Bro SS Ahmed had organised a Ventriloquist cum Magician ( Mr Uday Bhaskar ) to entertain the gathering . He kept the audience spellbound with his expertise. It was something unique for the children and they enjoyed the evening thoroughly.

Thereafter a game of Tambola was anchored by W Bro SS Ahmed.

A pleasant evening of business and pleasure with lots of fun,gaiety,games and sumptuous food.

At the end of it Brethren bid adieu by 2300 hrs.

Fraternally

Col RN Balagopal

Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
Fraternally
* click the image to view it larger
Medical Camp
20th Sept 2015

St John's Lodge 434 EC --From the Desk of Lodge Information Officer

Fraternal Greetings,

A medical cum dental camp was organised by the St John's Lodge 434 EC in association with Army College of Dental Sciences Secunderabad and Lions Club Secunderabad on Sunday 20 September 2015 from 0900 h to 1400 h in Lodge premises. It was attended by brethren from most Lodges in twin cities.

A total of 60 patients were attended to and adequately administered by the team of doctors.

The registration counter was anchored by Wor Bro P Mohan and the members of our Lodge and Lions Club. Bro Swaminathan organised for the photographer. Bro Navneet Pittie , Bro Nihal Kovalli and Dr P Rajeev ( Lodge Doctor ) were present from early morning and over saw all the arrangements and assisted in the smooth proceedings of the day.

A special thanks to all the Ladies for coming out in strength for this noble cause. You have set a new benchmark for all of us.

We thank all the participants for their generous time and contribution to make this event happen.

Medical Camp 2015
Medical Camp 2015
Medical Camp 2015
Medical Camp 2015
Medical Camp 2015
Medical Camp 2015
* click the image to view it larger
Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar
May 2015

St John's Lodge Charity Event (Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar) in May 2015

Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar
Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar
Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar
Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar
Supply of Diapers at Shishu Vihaar
* click the image to view it larger
* click the image to view it larger

Date of Warrant: (Local) August 16, 1882. Confirmed: 1836. Centenary: 1936. Meets: Last Wednesday of Every month expect In June and December when on St.John the Baptist day and St.John the Evangelist day respectively. Election: November.Installation: St.John’s Evangelist day in December.

A Brief History

On 24 June 1822, which is commemorated as St.John The Baptist’s day, an application was made in a simple and informal letter to the Provincial Grand Master by 17 military men* seeking permission to form themselves into a Masonic Lodge and work as such in their station, Secunderabad. The name ‘St.John’s Lodge’ was approved and numbered 13 in the Provincial Grand Registry. The approval was communicated to the applicants vide a letter dated 16 August 1822, granting them all the constitutional privileges of a Lodge on the usual conditions. They were charged to consider the said letter as a Voucher, pending engrossment of a Warrant in proper form after procurement of necessary materials. Thus St.John’s Lodge is perhaps the only Lodge brought into existence without the formality of submitting a petition to the Grand Master.

The Warrant per se was, however, issued to the Lodge only in 1836, some 14 years after its constitution, and the Lodge was numbered 628 in the Registry of the Grand Lodge of England in London. By a general alteration of numbers in 1863 the said number 628 was changed to 434, which is what the Lodge bears to this day. In 2006 the Lodge has thus completed 170 years from 1836, the year of issuance of the Warrant, although it has actually been in existence for 184 years since 1822. The Lodge thus also has the unique distinction of having met without a Warrant for 14 years!

The aforesaid Warrant appears to have got lost some years after its issuance. A ‘Warrant of Confirmation’ was issued as a replacement by the Grand Lodge on 19 May 1868 against an application from the Brethren of St.John’s Lodge. This is the instrument under the authority of which the Lodge has been functioning since then to this day.

On 16 April 1823 Bro Macintosh sent 300 hundred Pounds for the construction of a Lodge Hall, which contribution was highly appreciated and duly recorded. On 7 November 1823 the then Worshipful Master of the Lodge W.Bro.Robertson proposed that the Lodge Hall be built on an open ground to the east of his own house. His proposal was unanimously approved because of the merits of the suggested location. On 19 January a plan of the Lodge proposed by W. Bro. George Meikel was approved. A committee of Officers of the Lodge was appointed to oversee the construction. Bro.Tray was appointed as Superintendent, assisted by another officer, for erection of the new building. The foundation stone was laid on 21 February 1824 by W. Bro. George Meikel, by then the Worshipful Master of the Lodge, and Bro. Lenny. The new Lodge Hall was opened, as proposed by W. Bro. Meikel on 24 October 1824 as Lodge No.13 in accordance with the Voucher mentioned earlier. A subsequent generous contribution of Rs.6289 Hali (the currency of the Nizam) saw the completion of remainder of the building as per the plan. This generosity, without which the building could not have been completed, was highly appreciated and recorded. A room for Lodge meetings was added to the original building in 1832/33.

The Lodge building was designed as a small church. There were two pillars, one in the north and the other in the south (at the entrance to the Lodge room in the west) with a small dome, half embedded into the verandah wall in front. It appears that the military men tied their horses in the stable in the western side of the Lodge and entered the Lodge through the pillars at the entrance. These pillars are now practically buried in the southern wall of the Lodge. Over the years more rooms were added to the main Lodge Hall, consisting of a storeroom in the north, a small room for the Tyler and a sufficiently large dressing room with toilets. To the west of the drawing room is a sufficiently large room serving as a dining room with three entrances and a large verandah on top of a large number of steps. Interestingly, all the walls are built of mud except the north room in the Lodge which is built of bricks.

The 17 founding members were : W. Bros. / Bros. J. F. Kingsley, McDonald Robertson, George Meikel, B. Williams, H.E. Downes, J. Wriget, W. Atkinson, H.Ht.Wray. J.Morton, W.M.Milne, J.Sinclair, Samuel Fox, James Nesbitt, G.L.Blakehouse, G.Lambe, J.Skirrow, and Tongue.

From the desk of Col (Retd) RN Balagopal
Secretary
St.Johns Lodge No.434EC

19th Dec 2013

Fraternal Greetings

I wanted to forward you some interesting and happy information about one of our brethren Wor.Bro.Dharanikota Suyodhan. He has written a book "Professional Ethics and Morals" for engineering students of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, AP along with a senior professor. Almost all the first year engineering students in 325 colleges will read this book.

He has written an article that has been published in a popular US based sports site click here to view more

Another event in which he was invited as expert for IIIT, Hyderabad forum was published on the web. click here to view more

Officers For 2016 - 2017 ( Installed: 27th December 2016 )
Worshipful Master Jeet Patel
Senior Warden C.Hemanth Reddy
Junior Warden K.Swaminathan
I.P.M Navneet Pittie
Chaplain Major R.K.Singh
Treasurer Rahul Anilesh Amin
Secretary Murthy Vadapalli
Director of Ceremonies Salil M.Adhiya
Mentor Dharanikota Suyodhan
Charity Steward P.Mohan
Almoner Col.C.M.Pagar
Senior Deacon T.Santosh Kumar
Junior Deacon Col.Bhaskar Dev Burman
Asst. Director of Ceremonies K.Arjun Nair
Organist S.S.Ahmed
Asst.Secretary Col.K.Ravindranathan
Inner Guard N.Arun Kumar
Steward Vishal Thaalla
Steward Madhu Damodharan Menon
Steward Col.B D Bhattacharya
Steward Venkatesh Ramanji
Tyler Nihal Kovvali
Members
N.Madhusudan (1994) Wg.Cdr.A.A.P.Bhalla (1990)
J.J.D'Silva (1989 & 96) G.Rameshwar Ram (1992 & 93)
Major R.K.Singh (1991 & 95) M.J.Parekh (WM 3249-1999)
James Samuel (1998) P.Mohan (2006)
K.Venkat Ramana (2000) Col.C.M.Pagar(1999)
Col.K.Ravindranathan (2001) M.Salil Adhiya (2014)
P.Uday Kumar Naidu (2003) Dr.N.Ashok Kumar
S.S.Ahmed (2008) Nevneet Pittie (2015)
Lt.Col.J.N.Laul Bomi Patell
Col R.N.Balagopal (2007) G.Vikram(2010)
R.Vishwa Mohan M.Udaia Kumar
Dr.John Verghese (2013) Dharanikota Suyodhan (2011)
Ghanshyam Khandelwal (2009 T.Rajesh Murthy (2012)
P.Suresh Manish B.Pokarna
Gurudutt U.Pai V.Sasidharan
Jeet Patel (2016) Lt.Col.N.Mukundan
T.Santosh Kumar Lt.Col.Bhasker Dev Burman
Ch.Hemanth Reddy John Mathew
Chandan Lohia S.Ramnath Sastry
K.Swaminathan Nihal Kovvali
Dr.N.Arunkumar S.Karthik
Bhudeb Chakravarthi N.Sreedhar Reddy
Rahul Anilesh Amin K.Goutham Subbaiah
K.Arjun Nair C.Avinash Kumar
Col.Bhisma Dev Bhattacharya Murthy Vadapalli
Vishal Thaalla Srikanth Marakanti
Venkatesh Ramanji Madhu Damodharan Menon
R.V.Krishna Babu  
Honorary Members
R W Bro.D.K.Williamson, Asst Grand Master
R.W.Bro.Cdr.M.B.S.Higham RN (Retd), PG Secretary
R.W.Bro.K.R.N.Menon, PDGM