A Library was established at the Freemasons Hall premises at least eighty years ago in the building which stood where the District Grand Assistant Secretary’s Quarters is now. Later, some 30 years ago it was shifted to the erstwhile DGL Office, as a part of it. Books and periodicals were duly numbered and archived. When that building collapsed the Library continued to be housed in the remaining portion. It had then gone into disuse and stayed there until the old building was restored and the contents salvaged. In the ’new’ building a specially designed hall has been provided for the Library.
In 2009-11 the books, periodicals were re-inventoried, reclassified according to the standard coding used by the United Grand Lodge and properly stacked in designated shelves. The books were further classified according to their physical condition. Though a large number of them have gone brittle and a few insect bored, all of them can still be used carefully by readers: of course they cannot be lent out for obvious reasons of safety.
The District Grand Lodge has created a Library Fund to restore the non-replaceable records and books and to augment the stock with replacements for the damaged material and newer publications. The Library is being developed into a full fledged institution of research and Masonic Learning.
Our Treasure House contains books, periodicals and records which can be generally grouped into Books, Periodicals and Proceedings. Proceedings include those of the Grand Lodge (1884 onwards), Grand Chapter (1845 onwards), the District Grand Lodge (1867 onwards) and District Grand Chapter (1871 onwards) .