The Anchor Of Hope Lodge,
Date of Warrant: February 14, 1866
The last lodge consecrated during the tenure of Col. Pitt Macdonald as District Grand Master of Madras, Anchor Of Hope Lodge No. 1093 EC was formed in the year 1865 in the beautiful town of Wellington in the Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu (then Madras Presidency). Wellington being a military station during those days, the lodge was initially formed by the military brethren and a few civilians as well. The founding brethren chose to keep the lodge open to membership, with members from various occupations in a view to keep it permanent, which is proven thanks to continued existence for over 157 years.
The warrant that is displayed in the temple was given under the seal of The Grand Lodge of London on 7th August 1929 inter alia it reads ” where as it appears by the records of the Grand Lodge that a warrant of constitution being dated 24 Feb 1866 was granted to certain brethren therein named authorizing them to open and hold a Lodge of free and accepted masons at the Lodge rooms Wellington, Madras, and which was then registered in the books of the Grand Lodge as number 1093 under the title or denomination of “The Lodge Anchor of Hope”.